Saturday, November 20, 2010

MENTAL HEALTH AND PRIMARY CARE MEDICINE

Since my practice is located within a family medical practice where I act as a behavioral health consultant, I read with interest, and posted a comment on the article's website, about the following article:


What's very encouraging is that primary care medicine has begun to recognize the value of integrating mental health consultants into their practices. On-site psychologists in primary care practices, serving as behavioral health consultants/resources, when added to traditional medical staff/team helps to ease patient access to oft-needed counseling or psychotherapy.

As a psychologist located within a family medical practice, I see first-hand how the stigma associated with seeking mental health is reduced by my presence in the practice, and how the coordination of care between mental and physical health increases the likelihood of improvement in physical health.


No comments:

Post a Comment